Thursday 4 June 2015

An hour with Amnesty New Zealand and Salil Shetty


Today I went from one NGO office to another on my lunch break to attend a meet and greet with Amnesty Internationals Secretary General Salil Shetty. It felt so lovely to be in an Amnesty environment again and I realized how much I miss being involved and active in this amazing organisation. It was without a doubt the best lunch break I've been on since coming to Auckland. 

Salil highlighted various subjects, like the issues within the UN Security Council that prevents the UN from taking action in humanitarian disasters. It is absolutely ridiculous how the five countries that have veto power are always going to put their selfish, economical interests as priority. It's sad that they will use their veto power, and in that way continue to letting violation of basic human rights happen by stopping any peaceful suggestion or action that would harm their own interests.

The UN was created to save people in the world from getting their human rights violated, not to give powerful politicians a space to play games with eachother. I think a lot of people agree when I say that it's time to reform the UN structure, so that it can start to work for what it was meant for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment