Monday 15 February 2016

Halfway through our 37 hour journey to Bolivia

I am so tired. But tired in an exciting way. Tired in that kind of way so that I just laugh at almost anything. This has probably by far been the longest Valentine's Day of my life. 

We've had an 11 hour flight from Auckland with Air New Zealand, which was great! Countless good movies and series to watch, wine and amazing vegan food (I know many people doesn't like plane food, but I usually love it! Maybe because I'm always super starving on planes, but still). 

I was only able to watch about two thirds of the documentary "He named me Malala", which both brought me to tears and laughter. Malala is one of the most incredible people I've heard of. She is so wise, strong and committed to working for girls rights to education and at the same time she is meeting Barack Obama and tells him her opinions about drones, (and we see her meeting all different celebrities, she's on talk shows etc) she is also a teenager like anyone else, someone who lives at home with her parents and in the documentary we see her fighting and joking with her brothers, we follow her to her new school in England and doing her homeworks. This is definitely someone who practise what she preach. She says that she misses her home and her friends from the Swat valley in Pakistan, to where she cannot go back because she would get killed by the talibans who are against her work for girls education (which in their world is totally wrong). But following her and her life was such an inspiration and I am so amazed by her. Did I say that?

I'm gutted that the plane landed in Argentina before I had a chance to finish watching it.. Although I am pretty happy that everything was on time, because we've had a little mission here in Burnos Aires so far that is almost over now. We had to change airport, from the bigger one to another one across the city. Luckily enough we had about 8 hours before the next flight to Bolivia takes off so we were in no rush until we realised that our bags didn't appear on the baggage claim. But in the last minute we managed to get a hold of a staff member who saved our bags from going to a different place. Thanks gosh!

At the moment we have 2 hours left until our plane takes off - so yep, we did make it to the other airport in the end but it did require me to force myself to remember the Spanish from school (I'm so happy we are starting our intense Spanish course in a coupe of days!) and I was able to order food for us for the first time ever in Spanish. 


Okay, it was just a very large tray of fries and a bottle of water. As most of you probably know, Argentina is not a good place for a vegan. 

So now we are a bit more than halfway through the journey. Next flight will take us to Santa Cruz where we have to wait for 10 hours, for a 30 minute flight to Sucre. Oh the joy of traveling, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment