Monday 30 November 2015

Holiday. Chapter 6. Freedom camping & pouring rain

When we headed inland towards Frans Josef Glaciers we decided to stop by this beautiful lake and freedom camp for the night. Sounds pretty nice, right?



Only thing was that we left the sun and summer on the east coast and drove into a New Zealand winter with pouring rain. 



Despite being wet and cold though we had a funny night in the camper van playing cards and drinking wine, but the night was pretty scary when crazy wind made me think that the whole camper van was going to tilt over any time. We even heard other camper vans on the site leave in the middle of the night due to this storm, but we made it through! 

The next day was even more windy and rainy so we decided to give the glaciers a miss for this time, but make the best out of the situation and at least go to Arthurs Pass, where there are all these waterfalls and a huge river below, which was pretty incredible to experience in the heavy rain (even though I couldn't see much because all of the rain splashing I my eyes haha!)


We stopped by this little restaurant and to my big surprise it was one of the most vegan friendly restaurants I've been to in New Zealand! I left my phone in the car so I couldn't take a photo of all the delicious things in there, but I had both the kumara & mushroom pie and a vegan burger. It was one of those moments when you as a vegan actually have things to choose between, so it took a while to decide! They also had a vegan sandwich which looked amaze and loads of smoothies and soy milk for my flat white. If someone out there reads this and want to visit this epic place, make sure to go the big restaurant with a store next to it and NOT to the smaller one across the street. We went in there first and then people working there were absolute bitches and they didn't even have soy milk. Shame on them! 


With a lovely meal in our bellies we went on to chase the sun back closer to the east coast and stopped by Castle Hill, which looks like where a few sences from Lord of the Rings takes place (but I think it was another place that was actually in the film)

I felt like a kid again when me and my love ran around on these rocks, climbing, almost slippering and even practise balancing yoga poses!






We drove for a few more hours until we reached a less cold place and parked up at a camp site in Rakaia close to Christchurch and I think we were all happy to wake up to sunshine the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment